2004-05 - Master's of Science Degree
I graduated in 2005 from the University of Hull
in Hull, England with a MSc in Games Programming.
One of the assignments for the Master's program was to make a ray tracer. My code and sample
input files can be found here (named Egon because I liked him
better than Ray). Six sample output pictures can be found here
that demonstrated the use of shadows, reflections, and refractions.
Another assignment in the Master's program involved creating a shader. My code can be found
here, or you can just open the executable in
this archive. There are four models in this program, swappable
with the Enter key. The shading types are Two-Tone, Cartoon Rendering, and Texture mapping,
changeable with the Space bar. The up and down arrows change the position of the camera, the mouse
moves one of the light sources in the Two Tone and Texture mapped shaders, and ESC and F12 close
For my Master's dissertation, I made a toolkit for the
(Behavior is now bundled in with XSI). It was a specific application for setting up an escape
scenario from a room allowing for anwhere from 0 to 396 people on the screen at once, written
using MFC, C++ and OpenGL. The program creates the scripting language files and opens Behavior
(if it is on your system), and can also output the file to XSI or AVI format. The code, executable,
and sample output (in the bProj folder) are here.
A sample output AVI (done with 90 people) can be found here.
Other projects for the MSc included a group PC game which we then had to port to the GameCube
in which I served as lead on the GameCube port, a moon hopper with dynamic fractal based LOD
terrain, and a multiplayer foosball game that could be played on one machine or over a LAN.
In an attempt to keep my skills up between the completion of the MSc and my first job, I made a
Sudoku PC game. It has many different puzzles possiblities within it, and is controlled completely
with the mouse. Left clicking picks a number, right clicking rules out a number, and middle clicking
reverts the square back one phase. Bits available are the code
and the EXE. The first version of the game took me two days
to complete. Version 2 was two additional hours, working on bug deletion and CPU usage issues.